A tiny fruit that resembles blackberry, mulberry is cylindrical in shape and can be white, red, purple, or black depending on the type of tree. The berry has some pretty big health benefits as well. It can aid in weight loss, keep the liver healthy and even provide a hefty dose of vitamins and minerals with each serving.
Ingredients for Pie Crust :
- Maida / Refined Wheat Flour – 1.5 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Softened Butter – 100 gram
- Ice Cold Water or Milk – 2-3 tbsp
Mulberry Filling :
- Mulberries – 300-500 gms
- Sugar Cup – 1
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
- Clove Powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla pod – 1 nos
- Corn Flour – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Orange Juice – 1 tbsp
Method for Pie Crust :
- Cut the softened butter into cubes, put them in a large mixing bowl and sift the flour over it.
- Mix the butter and flour using a spatula or with hands (do not over mix it as the mixture should have the consistency of bread crumb after mixing)
- Add sugar and mix well. Gradually add enough cold water or cold milk to the mixture to make the dough.
- Wrap the dough with a cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Clean up your workstation and dust it with some flour so that the dough doesn’t stick to it. Place the dough on the greased surface and roll it evenly with a rolling pin.
- Roll the dough evenly in circular shape a little bigger than the pan in which you are going to bake the pie. This helps the crust to fill the pan and edges can be trimmed easily after the filling is poured in.
Pie Filling :
- Add mulberries, sugar, cinnamon powder, clove powder, slitted vanilla pod, cornflour, and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 min until the mulberries become mushy and the sauce thickens.
- Fill the mixture in the pan lined with pie crust.
- Cut the leftover dough into 1-inch strips and place them over the filling in the criss-cross pattern.
- Brush some milk over it and sprinkle some sugar.
- Preheat the oven at 200-degree Celsius and bake it for 40- 50 min or until the crust turns into golden brown color.
- Let the pie rest for a few hours at room temperature before slicing it.
By: Sony Dinesh
Source: The Asian Age